- 2 cups homemade, unsalted, chicken stock (For how to make chicken stock, see my Pork Stock video and sub chicken bones)
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken thigh, bite-sized pieces. Or use breast, marinated, and add at the end
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom half only, smashed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 10 – 15 rounds galangal
- 4-5 Kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn into big chunks
- 3-4 Chilies, bruised or cut into large pieces
- 1.5 – 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Palm sugar
- 150g Oyster mushrooms
- 2-2.5 Tbsp lime juice
- Green onions or cilantro for garnish
Marinate chicken pieces if using breasts. Maybe in a little oil + fish sauce.
Bring chicken stock to a boil, then add salt and (if using thighs : add chicken. Let simmer gently for 20 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.)Add coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, torn kaffir lime leaves, chilies, half the fish sauce, and palm sugar. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to infuse.Add chicken if using breasts.Add mushrooms, bring back to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.Taste and add more fish sauce as needed. Turn off the heat and add lime juice.
*The herbs are meant for infusion only and not meant to be eaten. Please inform your guests or remove them before serving.
Photo and cinematography by smboro